Why did X708 come out？
Although we provide a compelete raspberry pi NAS solution with NAS shield(X825/X857/X829/X835 etc.),X735 and matching metal case, but we still have received many feedbacks that want to support UPS, so we have to respond to this request.
Our original intention of designing X708 is to match with NAS shell (such as X829-C1, X857-C3 or X857-C1, X825-C7) to provide a raspberry pi NAS solution with UPS function. In order to save space, we must separate the battery from the UPS expansion board when designing . This is also the biggest difference between X708 and X728;
Safety Instructions and Warnings
You must read these safety instructions and warnings before charging your batteries.
- Lithium Polymer and Li-ion batteries are volatile. Failure to read and follow the below instructions may result in fire, personal injury and damage to property if charged or used improperly.
- Never make wrong polarity connection when charging and discharging battery packs. Always double check polarity of battery's connector to make sure "+" to "+" and "-" to "-".
- Do not mix and use old batteries and new batteries, or batteries with different brand names.
- Lithium batteries has it's cycle life, please replace old battery with new one when it reaches it's service life or when it is two year old, whichever comes first.
- When charging Battery Pack, please put battery in a fire proof container. Please don't leave the X708 on the wood material or carpet and unattended.
- Must keep the X708 away from children.
- Please watch Main Video and Tutorial Video regarding 18650 batteries at: https://www.staysafebattery.com/en/
X708 V2.0 is released
x708 v2.0 is release on April 2022.
- Added protection circuit and alarm function when the battery is reversely connected (RESERVED will be on)
- Supports the control of two fan speeds
- Solved the problem that the old version can't charge when the battery is exhausted
- Improved AUTO ON function
- Added battery over-discharge function
- Improved power path management function: when external AC power is supplied, the AC PSU supplies power to the UPS shield and also charges the battery.
- Remove the ASD function but you can achieve this function through software programming. Please refer to X708-Software
- New added GPIO16 to control fan speed, HIGH=>fast fan speed, LOW=>slow fan speed; refer to X708-Hardware
- Added voltage surge protection circuit
The X708 is an advanced uninterruptible power supply expansion board for all current models of the Raspberry Pi using a 40 pin header. It provides 5.1V Max. 8000mA Power Backup for even the most demanding Raspberry Pi set ups, intelligent and safe power management, safe shutdown，AC power loss/ power adapter failure detection , auto power-on, full poweroff from software, and a cooling fan.
The X708 reserves the 40-pin header that can be stacked with other Raspberry Pi accessory boards for enhanced applications. The X708 can also be used with the X825/X828/X829 (2.5" HDD/SSD Shield) and X857/X862/X872(MSATA/M.2 SSD shield) for safe data backup.
There is a 8-cell 18650 battery holder X708-A1 for X708, please refer to X708-A1.
Some key features:
- Excellent UPS function such as Power Loss Detection(PLD), Automatic Safe Shutdown(ASD), Auto Power On(AON) etc., DC 5V Max. 6A output;
- With cooling fan, no extra cooling solution.
- HAT size. Separate the battery from the expansion board, which can save a lot of space, which will bring more flexibility.
- Reserved two kind battery port (XH2.54 and PH2.0), supports 3.7V 18650 lithium battery and 3.7V lithium polymer battery, No capacity limit, only request 3.7V lithium battery (No include lithium battery)
|FOR USE WITH||
Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+/ 2 Model B / 3 Model B / 3 Model B+ / 3 Model A+ / 4 Model B
Smart and powerful Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
Intelligent and safe power management
Integrated cooling fan that allows the heat from your Raspberry Pi to dissipate!
How to Power
- Power via DC5521 Jack of X708, 5.1Vdc +/-5% , ≥4A (DC5525 Jack is compatible with DC5521, also support 5V PSU with DC5525 Jack)
- Power via USB Type-C port of X708, 5.1Vdc +/-5% , ≥3A (Geekworm Type-C 5V 4A 20W power supply is recommended.）
X728-C1 is a metal case for X708 / X735 or X728 V2.2 / V2.1 / V2.0.
Installation Video: https://youtu.be/QOG30LXb6ds
- 1 x X708 Expansion Board
- 8 x M2.5 *5mm Screws
- 4 x M2.5 *12+6mm Spacers
- 4 x M2.5 *12mm Spacers
- 2 x Jumper link Pitch 2.54mm
Software & Hardware Guide
Installation Video for Raspberry Pi 4+X825 V1.5+X708/U100/X735+X825-C7 Case: https://youtu.be/kKIPf4AsiYY
Installation video for Raspberry Pi 4+X857 V1.2/X862 V1.0/X872 V1.1+X708/U100+X857-C1 Case: https://youtu.be/HGPpfDbfyxM
Q1: What battery is recommended for X708?
- Pls use high quality batteries from PANPASONIC, Toshiba, etc.
- Lithium battery need to meet following 2 conditions: 1. Working voltage: 3.6V-3.7V; 2. Maximum voltage after full: 4.2V
- Do not use the battery with built-in protection circuit
Q2: What type connector to request for lithium battery?
- A: X708 provides two type battery connectors: PH2.0-2P and XH2.54-2P, you can connect two battery at the same time, BUT please use the same model batteries, also please pay attention that the polarity of the XH2.54 and PH2.0 connectors is different.
Q3: Is there a corresponding UPS NAS solution for 3.5-inch hard drives?
- A: Sorry, There is no UPS NAS solution for 3.5-inch hard drive because the 3.5-inch hdd request 12V voltage, so we have no plans to support this demand for the time being. BUT you can refer to X835//X832, and they can solve some of your needs, they need external power supply.
Q4: How to restart the pi board when AC Power supply is connected?
- A: Please enable 'AUTO POWER ON' or 'AUTO ON' function if you want restart when the AC Power supply is reapplied.
Q6: About auto shutdown, found your board will auto shutdown.
- A: Please check if enable the ASD function (shorted the ASD header), if you enable the ASD function, please sure your oeration is right: first, place the battery into the battery holder, insert the jumper to ASD header after 3 second,this is very important!!
Q7: Does the X708 support to use without any battery installed?
- A: Yes, it is ok to use the X708 without battery, but please note that do not use low quality power supply.
Q8: Why the X708 does not work normally?
- A: Please make sure you have install the script before use, please refer to X708-Software
Q9:If "AON" is shorted, can you use a latching power switch to turn the x708 on/off, or is it on all the time, regardless of the switch?
- A:Sorry, this is not supported.
Q10:Does the X708 support to use the latching switch?
- A:No, the X708 does not support to connect latching switch, only support momentary switch.
Q11: What is the fan type of the X708?
- A: It is szie 3010 cooling fan with PH2.0-2P connector.
Q12: Can you use the X708 with a poe hat to provide the power?
- A: No, not suggest to use like this.
Q13: Why does the X708 power off automatically?
- A: Please use 3.7V lithium polymer battery without protection board, or battery with enough discharge capacity, or the X708 will power off automatically when use with high load. Refer to video test: https://youtu.be/Saco6rJm4ZQ