- 1 Note
- 2 Overview
- 3 Features
- 4 Power Supply Requirement
- 5 Installation Guide
- 6 Packing List
- 7 Document
- 8 Some Tips
- 9 FAQ
- 10 Match Metal Case for X828
- 11 Customer Feedback
1. Please send your issue information with order numbers and purchase link to our support email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you need after-sale support, that will do great help to solve the problem quickly, thanks in advance.
2. One X828 board can install one 2.5 inch SATA HDD / SSD, please select the corresponding number of X828 boards according to the number of hard disks you want to stack
3. What do you need to use Raspberry Pi Stackable X828 2.5 inch SATA Storage Board?
- A Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Board
- One or multiple X828 board according to your need (1 pc X828 only support 1 pc HDD/SSD, can support multiple 2.5 SATA HDDs/SSDs by stacking the X828)
- A DC 5V 4A Power Supply (Please use high quality power supply, and use one power supply for every 3pcs X828)
- One or multiple 2.5 inch SATA hard disk drives (HDD) or solid-state drive (SSD) according to the number of X828 boards
- A X735 Power Management Board for intelligent power management and cooling your Raspberry Pi(optional but recommend, the power switch equipped with X828 case must be connected to this X735 board, or the switch will not work)
- A X828 Case(optional, this case only compatible with raspberry pi 4 & 2 pcs X828 )
4. Important note when use X828 with the X735:
1. "L-SW" Jumper cap on X735 should be removed when using onboard switch or external momentary switch;
2. "Auto On" Jumper cap on X735 should be removed when using external switch;
3. Both "L-SW" & "Auto On" Jumper caps should be removed when installing X735 in the X828 case(Because the X828 case come with momentary switch).
The X828 is a stackable 2.5" SATA HDD expansion board focused on providing a bigger storage solution for your Raspberry Pi B/2B/3B/3B+/4B. The board is a great way to give a desktop look, as you can connect multiple external hard drivers without having them "hanging" from the USB ports of your SBC.
Knowing that our users might need more USB entrances, we added to extra USB 3.1 Gen1 ports to the X828, so the user can connect keyboards, USB sticks or even other external HDDs.
If you are looking for building a Media Center or even a Network-attached storage (NAS), the X828 will be a good choice for you. You will be able to separate one hard disk only for operating system and the rest for media, games...etc.
For Use with
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
- Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+
- All Raspberry Pi operating systems
- Ideal storage solution for Raspberry Pi - Stackable 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Shield
- Supports one or multiple 2.5 SATA HDDs/SSDs working at the same time(depending on the number of X828 boards you stack)
- Supports up to 4TB 2.5-inch SATA hard disk drives (HDD) / solid-state drive (SSD)
- Supports operating system installation and booting from your HDD/SSD*
- Provides additional 3 USB3.1 Gen1 ports for Raspberry Pi,and integrated USB 3.1 Gen1 to SATA 6Gb/s bridge controller
- Function to power the RPI via XH2.54 only needing a single power supply
- Function to power the stackable X828 via USB3 Male-to-male cable only needing a single power supply
- USB3.1 Gen1 5Gb/s connectivity offers plug-and-play functionality on your Raspberry Pi 4
- USB2.0 480Mb/s connectivity offers plug-and-play functionality on your Raspberry Pi 3
- Quick file transfer with high-speed USB3.1 5Gb/s connectivity from a PC or a Mac
- Specially-made ultra short USB3.1 cable to connect with Raspberry Pi and stackable X828 boards
- LED blue indicator indicates drive status
- Fully compatible with X735 for intelligent power management and cooling your Raspberry Pi
- Fully compatible with X710 for wide input voltage (6~36V) and intelligent safe power management
- Fully compatible with X765 for powering over Ethernet (POE, 5V 4A)
- Fully compatible with X705, X725 for uninterruptible power supply (18650 UPS, 5.1V 8A)
- PCB Size 107.5mm x 85mm
Ports & Connectors
- DC jack - 5.5x2.5mm
- USB socket - USB 3.0 type A
- Power connector - XH2.54 2-pin
- SATA socket - 7+15P Female
Power Supply Requirement
- X828 Require Power supply: 5.1Vdc +/-5% , ≥4A (Please refer to DC 5V 4A Power Supply)
- Do not power your Raspberry Pi via the Pi's 40-pin header and micro-USB socket at the same time.
- To avoid power shortage, it is recommended to use a power supply for every 3 X828 boards.
- X828 Installation Video: https://youtu.be/FrxMfug1Zmk
Thanks friend Jay LaCroix for the video:
Installation Guide Manual
- X828 HDD/SSD expansion board x 1
- USB 3.0 A Male to A-Male Data cable x 1
- 2-Pin Power Connection Wire x 1
- Power daughter board x 1
- Spacer F/F M2.5 x 13mm x 4
- Spacer F/F M2.5 x 15mm x 4
- Spacer M/F M2.5 x 25mm x 4
- Spacer M/F M2.5 x 11mm x 1
- Screw M2.5 x 5mm x 12
- Screw M3 x 6mm x 2
- Please refer to: How to boot your Raspberry Pi 3 from the X8 series
- How to Run Raspberry Pi 4 or 3 Off an SSD or Flash Drive: Does the X825/X855 support USB boot
- Tutorial – How to Initialize, Partition and Format a Brand New SSD in Windows: File:Tutorial Initalize New SSD.pdf
1. Is it possible to use stacked X828 boards in a RAID configuration?
A: X828 can support multiple HDDs working at the same time but not test it in the RAID configuration.
2. Does this X828 board support HDDs with more than 4TB?
A: Yes, the X828 board can support HDDs more than 4TB.
3. Don't detect HDD/SDD?
- This is a complicated question, but we can check it from these points.
- Please test the X828 one by one no matter how many X828 you have.
- When X828 is connected to a windows computer, it will It is a mobile hard disk. Please refer to How to check the X820
- The power supply is very important to X828, some low quality power supply will damage your board or not recognize the HDD/SDD, so it is strongly recommend to use this CE/UL/FCC/GS certificate DC 5V 4A Power Supply.
4. How many X828 boads can I stack?
- In theory, it can stack as many X828s as possible, but considering the speed of USB3 and power supply issues, it recommend that just stack about 4 X828s.
- And for the power adapter, generally a 5V 4A power adapter Support the normal work of 3 X828; And please use the high quality power adapter.
5. How many x828 or how many expansion can power by X765?
- It is suggest to stack 3pcs X828 at most.
6.What to do if you meet the reboot problem when use the X828s with X735?
- Solution 1: Please insert one empty DC header( a spare 5.5mm × 2.5mm plug) into the FIRST X828 board under your Raspberry Pi and X735 but NOT provide power to the power supply. Please refer to the photo.
- Solution 2: Please only remove the small resistor on the FIRST X828 board under your Raspberry Pi and X735 . Please refer to the photo marked resistor.
Match Metal Case for X828
Please refer to X828 Case
1.I currently have four stack of x828 and it's working great. I also added a x735 pwm for the fan cooling. I decided to run Ubuntu 19.10 arm64, but the x735 does not allow the pi4 to reboot. It will only shutdown, but not reboot. I glanced over reading at the time, of course as you mention, it's not supported, and it works fine under Rasbian OS. :/